By Fred Diamond, Jerry Shurman
This booklet introduces the speculation of modular types, from which all rational elliptic curves come up, with an eye fixed towards the Modularity Theorem. dialogue covers elliptic curves as complicated tori and as algebraic curves; modular curves as Riemann surfaces and as algebraic curves; Hecke operators and Atkin-Lehner conception; Hecke eigenforms and their mathematics homes; the Jacobians of modular curves and the Abelian forms linked to Hecke eigenforms. because it offers those rules, the booklet states the Modularity Theorem in a number of varieties, touching on them to one another and relating their functions to quantity thought. The authors imagine no history in algebraic quantity idea and algebraic geometry. routines are integrated.
Read or Download A First Course in Modular Forms (Graduate Texts in Mathematics) PDF
Best number theory books
A pleasant advent to quantity idea, Fourth variation is designed to introduce readers to the final subject matters and method of arithmetic in the course of the particular examine of 1 specific facet—number conception. beginning with not anything greater than easy highschool algebra, readers are steadily resulted in the purpose of actively acting mathematical examine whereas getting a glimpse of present mathematical frontiers.
Featuring a variety of mathematical types which are at the moment utilized in existence sciences can be considered as a problem, and that's exactly the problem that this booklet takes up. after all this panoramic learn doesn't declare to supply an in depth and exhaustive view of the numerous interactions among mathematical versions and existence sciences.
Mathematicians and non-mathematicians alike have lengthy been occupied with geometrical difficulties, rather those who are intuitive within the feel of being effortless to kingdom, possibly due to an easy diagram. every one part within the publication describes an issue or a gaggle of similar difficulties. frequently the issues are in a position to generalization of edition in lots of instructions.
- Introduction to algebraic techniques
- Analytic Number Theory [lecture notes]
- Multiplicative Number Theory I. Classical Theory
- On the Definition of the Sum of a Divergent Series (The University of Missouri Studies-Mathematics Series Volume 1, Number 1)
- The Arithmetic of Infinitesimals
- Georg Cantor
Additional resources for A First Course in Modular Forms (Graduate Texts in Mathematics)
4. Let wN = N0 −10 ∈ GL+ 2 (Q). Show that wN normalizes the group Γ0 (N ) and so gives an automorphism Γ0 (N )τ → Γ0 (N )wN (τ ) of the modular curve Y0 (N ). Show that this automorphism is an involution (meaning it has order 2) and describe the corresponding automorphism of the moduli space S0 (N ). 5. Let N be a positive integer and let p be prime. Deﬁne maps π1 , π2 : Y0 (N p) −→ Y0 (N ) to be π1 (Γ0 (N p)τ ) = Γ0 (N )τ and π2 (Γ0 (N p)τ ) = Γ0 (N )(pτ ). How do the corresponding maps π ˆ1 , π ˆ2 : S0 (N p) −→ S0 (N ) act on equivalence classes [E, C]?
In sum, |f (τ )| ≤ C0 + C/y r as y → ∞. (b) For every α ∈ SL2 (Z), the transformed function (f [α]k )(τ ) is holomorphic and weight-k invariant under α−1 Γ α and therefore has a Laurent expansion n (f [α]k )(τ ) = an qN , qN = e2πiτ /N . n∈Z To show that the Laurent series truncates from the left to a power series it suﬃces to show that lim ((f [α]k )(τ ) · qN ) = 0. qN →0 If α ﬁxes ∞ then this is immediate from the Fourier series of f itself. 2 Congruence subgroups 23 lim |(f [α]k )(τ ) · qN | ≤ C lim (y r−k |qN |).
Recall that a holomorphic isomorphism of complex tori takes the form z + Λ → mz + Λ where Λ = mΛ. Since ℘mΛ (mz) = m−2 ℘Λ (z) and ℘mΛ (mz) = m−3 ℘Λ (z), the corresponding isomorphism of elliptic curves is (x, y) → (m−2 x, m−3 y) or equivalently the substitution (x, y) = (m2 x , m3 y ), changing the cubic equation y 2 = 4x3 − g2 x − g3 associated to Λ to the equation y 2 = 4x3 − m−4 g2 x − m−6 g3 associated to Λ . 3 again) normalize the elliptic curves associated to C/mΛi and C/mΛµ3 to have equations y 2 = 4x(x − 1)(x + 1), y 2 = 4(x − 1)(x − µ3 )(x − µ23 ).